** Package changed: firefox-3.0 (Ubuntu) => firefox (Ubuntu)

  Extremely slow Ajax/Javascript/CSS performance in Firefox 3 using non-
  free nvidia-glx-new

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: firefox-3.0

  With Ubuntu 8.04

  Firefox 3.0 has extremely slow Ajax/Javascript performance (I'm not
  sure exactly what).  Probably CSS related.

  #1  Gmail scrolls very slowly (compare this by switching gmail to HTML
  version at the bottom of inbox)

  #2 Javascript images open/close/transition extremely slow
          examples:
               http://www.shacknews.com/      (images near the top of page,
when transitioning, bring FF3.0 to its knees)
               http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/ssotd/#latest
 (images opening and switching to next one)
               http://www.transmissionbt.com/screenshots.php          (opening
and closing images are very choppy)

        There are many more, those are just a few.

  I have both enabled and disabled Compiz but the problem is still
  there. I am not a web developer and can't pinpoint exactly what sort
  of code is causing the extreme slowness but I have tested it on
  multiple machines to make sure.  I have compared it to my Windows XP
  dual boot box and the difference is night and day so it is definitely
  a Linux issue.  Also on a Mac OS 10.4 machine its noticeably faster.

  This bug:   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/217580
  Is similar but only deals with Gmail, it is now known to be widespread issue.
 With performance this slow Firefox 3.0 beta should never have been the default
browser. Unless its just the few machines I've used of course.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386