I just got the problem in 12.10 for the first time. I have a dual-screen
setup at a Radeon HD 2600XT (I know). My main screen is horizontal, the
secondary screen is vertical. This setup did work in 12.04. In 12.10 my
GNOME Shell opens with a grey decorationless window on the left (see
attached downscaled screenshot). I can use a context menu to copy the
text in it out and into an editor, which reveals a localized version of
the messages other users get. The fun thing is: the screen setup is 100%
working - resolution, aspect, everything. But I still get the annoying
window - and closing it isn't easy because there are no window
decorations.

** Attachment added: "Strange login result"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/931240/+attachment/3449714/+files/screenshot1.png

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Triple head on Ubuntu 11.10 with AMD Radeon HD 6470M not working

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-ati” package in Ubuntu:

  Triple head using the HDMI and VGA out with AMD Radeon HD 6470M is not
  working on Ubuntu 11.10.

  I can get either monitor to come on through either output extension
  but when trying to get both to work at the same time the graphics go
  crazy. Both displays are listed in GUI display manager--just don't
  come on as expected when changing display settings.

  I can get triple head to work with AMD Radeon 5000M video adapter
  (same software setup) but the displays go crazy when starting a
  virtual machine or Skype.

  FWIW, on the AMD Radeon HD 6470M system System Info states graphics as
  Intel® Sandybridge Mobile while on AMD Radeon 5000M graphics are
  listed as Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD.

  Any thoughts or advice welcome.

  Copied from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1921559