Raymond, I have attached verbose PA log of microphone
plugging/unplugging. It does not seem to contain valuable info though.

Checking volume levels with alsamixer lead to interesting results. It
turns out that I have common 'Capture' control for both source ports and
separate controls 'Internal Mic Boost' and 'Mic Boost'. Source volume is
a sum of 'Capture' and corresponding 'Boost'.

PA prefers increasing boost volume when it sets source volume, so boost
goes up to 100% even at 28% source volume.

So I ended up with one of the boost controls maximized when I was making
my records. By switching to 'wrong' port I have moved boost to wrong
control, leaving current port without boost and thus without noise.

To illustrate this behavior a dumped amixer control levels for source
volumes from 1% to 102% with following script

for v in {1..102}; do
    echo "Setting volume=$v%"
    pactl set-source-volume 1 $v%
    amixer scontents | sed -n "/'Capture'\|'Internal Mic Boost'/,/^  Front
Right/p"
    echo
done > volume_amixer.log

You can check log of PulseAudio (volume_pulse.log) while performing this
test as well.

--------------------------
Finally:
It seems wrong, that PulseAudio prefers to increase 'Boost' control over
'Capture' control. 'Boost' should not be increased from zero value if
increasing 'Capture' control is enough to get overall requested volume.

** Attachment added: "volume_amixer.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1085402/+attachment/3449877/+files/volume_amixer.log

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Wrong auto selection of microphone input

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Om my notebook PulseAudio detects 2 ports on embedded sound card:
  1)    analog-input-microphone-internal
  2)    analog-input-microphone

  PulseAudio module "module-switch-on-port-available" chooses as default
  port #2 after external microphone is attached and switches back to
  port #1 after external mike removal.

  This behavior seems right.

  However, if I record sound with auto selected port, audio quality is
  very poor. There is loud noise in background. But if I switch to
  "wrong" port audio quality becomes great. E.g. I have to manually
  select "analog-input-microphone-internal" port when I attach external
  mike and vice versa.

  Example of record:
  http://self-perfection.homeip.net/files/2012/external_ru.flac (652 KiB)
  This record is made via headset microphone. During first half of record
source port analog-input-microphone was selected then i switched to port
analog-input-microphone-internal.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:2.1-0ubuntu4
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  self       2150 F.... pulseaudio
                        self       2255 F.... xfce4-volumed
  Date: Sat Dec  1 16:34:31 2012
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-21 (40 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 04/03/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
  dmi.bios.version: 06QB
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: 300E4Z/300E5Z/300E7Z
  dmi.board.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
  dmi.board.version: FAB1
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 9
  dmi.chassis.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
  dmi.chassis.version: 0.1
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologiesLtd.:bvr06QB:bd04/03/2012:svnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:pn300E4Z/300E5Z/300E7Z:pvr0.1:rvnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:rn300E4Z/300E5Z/300E7Z:rvrFAB1:cvnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:ct9:cvr0.1:
  dmi.product.name: 300E4Z/300E5Z/300E7Z
  dmi.product.version: 0.1
  dmi.sys.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.