I've attached a patch that should fix this upstream however I could not
reproduce the bug on my system so its untested. Is someone with this
issue able to apply the patch and test that it works?

** Changed in: hundredpapercuts
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Timothy Arceri (t-fridey)

** Changed in: hundredpapercuts

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  enters infinite loop on entering certain date formats

Status in Light-Weight Text Editor for Gnome:
  New
Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  In Progress
Status in “gedit” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gedit

  To reproduce:

  Start gedit in the ru_RU.utf8 locale (this is important! in this
  locale %p yields an empty string, in the C or en_US.utf8 locale it
  doesn't and thus the bug is not reproducible).

  Choose Правка > Вставить дату и время... (Edit > Insert Date and
  Time...) from the menu.

  Choose the Использовать другой формат (Use custom format) option.

  Try to enter %p in the provided box.

  Once you do so, gedit starts consuming 100% CPU and compiz dims its
  window. At this point, you don't have any other option except to kill
  gedit.

  Instead, gedit should process the provided date format and yield
  nothing.

  Package: gedit 2.30.3-0ubuntu0.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.42-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Date: Wed Sep 15 14:22:40 2010
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=ru_RU.utf8