This is a problem with gnome-control-center/ubuntu-system-services. The
static proxy setting are written to /etc/environment and
/etc/apt/apt.conf but this is not done for the automatic proxy settings.

** Summary changed:

- Software centre fails to install software on system with system-wide proxy
configured
+ No system-wide proxy for "automatic" proxy setting method

** Package changed: software-center (Ubuntu) => gnome-control-center
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  No system-wide proxy for "automatic" proxy setting method

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu Version info:
  Release: 12.10

  Software centre version info:
    Installed: 5.4.1.2
    Candidate: 5.4.1.2
    Version table:
   *** 5.4.1.2 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I have a computer which is on a network with a proxy configured (where
  the "Apply system-wide" button was used) on which the USC fails to
  install software with an error dialogue of:

  "Failed to download package files

  Check your Internet connection."

  I am able to browse the internet in Firefox and install packages from
  the command line using aptitude on this same computer.