This trick...

"flux (luigimarco) wrote on 2012-04-15:  #9
waiting for a definitive solution...

I have a workaround:
- copy Ambiance theme in my home directory from /usr/share/themes to ~/.themes.
- open the file gtk2.0/gtkrc
- replace the line
     style "menu" {
with the line
    style "menu" = "dark" {

I hope this is useful for now."

... worked to me.

Packages, which is subscribed to light-themes in Ubuntu.

  Regression: Unreadable menu bar with Ambiance theme in Java/Swing GTK
  L&F

Status in Light Themes:
  Invalid
Status in OpenJDK:
  Fix Committed
Status in “light-themes” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “openjdk-6” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “openjdk-7” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi, I have a problem in netbeans (and other java applications) with
  Ambiance theme. The menu bar has a dark foreground color and the menu
  titles are unreadable. This problem didn't occur in Oneiric.