Adding this here as Bug #1073913 was closed down because a fix is
supposed to be in the update (3.6.3) but see below.

My original workaround was to install 3.6.3 (on a fresh install of 12.04 - the
package in synaptic is 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.10.1). It was not a problem at
first but I now find (after a recent update) that the problem affects this
version as well. The resizing occurs in the following situations:
- switching windows with the alt+tab
- bringing the window up with the launcher
- moving the window with the title bar
- left clicking items in the list
- using the global menu (home folder)

  Nautilus (list view) column widths change dynamically on alt-tab, lags
  on large folders

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  The problem seems to be that nautilus re-parses the list of files in a
  folder after an alt-tab to resize dynamically the column widths, e.g.,
  the name column will be made wider if there is a file with a very
  large name. What happens is that if you have a large folder, upon a
  window redraw (with alt-tab for example), the column width for 'Name'
  is set to a small value, and then increases when a larger file name is
  found. This produces a weird effect with the columns changing sizes
  multiple times - not particularly nice, and I believe will be much
  more problematic on very large folders. Isn't there some way of
  caching the previously computed value on this same folder and only
  refreshing it once, thus making it invisible to the user?

  Running updated Ubuntu 12.10 64 bits, nautilus package version
  1:3.5.90.really.3.4.2-0ubuntu4

  I witnessed this in a folder containing only 71 files. There was a
  file with a considerably longer file name at the end of the folder
  (e.g. twice as long, 31 characters vs 15 characters in the first
  files)