With TB 17.0, and default setup on Quantal, when thunderbird maxes out
at 100% it also causes compiz to max out at 100% cpu - which freezes my
other applications too. Especially on my dual-core netbook that's a real
pain! I found that blocking of compiz can be avoided by turning off the
animations and fading windows effects via the compizconfig settings
manager however.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  High CPU usage

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Thunderbird CPU usage goes up to 100% and keep it that way after an
  unknown event. I tried using it in safe mode, but the problem is still
  there.

  Package: thunderbird 15.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  BuildID: 20120827103657
  Date: Tue Sep  4 08:44:15 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64 (20110427.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=hu_HU.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=Safe Mode/Safe Mode (Out of date)
  SourcePackage: thunderbird
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-04-26 (130 days ago)