So - we had this feature. And then it got removed to avoid rare problems and
replace them with common problems?
(sigh)

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  [quantal] Missing "Safely Remove Drive" and "Eject" options from
  Quicklists. Only have "Unmount".

Status in GVFS:
  New
Status in Unity:
  Invalid
Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “udisks2” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu 12.04, I could right-click on my usb-external-harddrive's
  Unity-Task-Bar icon (launcher icon) and select "Safely Remove". Upon
  doing this, the icon would disappear and I would proceed in unplugging
  my external hard drive.

  However, since upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10, this option is no longer
  available in the context menus (Quicklists) for external drives.

  Instead, all I see is "Unmount", and after clicking "Unmount" the icon
  remains on the task-bar (launcher) and no indication is given that
  would imply that the unmount occurred successfully.

  The intent of this report is to bring back the "Safely Remove" option
  which (by making the icon disappear after selected) indicates that you
  may now safely removal your USB external hard drive (by unplugging its
  usb connector).

  Package: unity 6.8.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,vpswitch,snap,mousepoll,resize,place,move,wall,grid,regex,imgpng,session,gnomecompat,animation,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,workarounds,scale,expo,ezoom,unityshell]
  Date: Wed Oct 17 14:55:17 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: unity
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-04 (13 days ago)