** Description changed:

  On my computer the Ubuntu Software Center is far from usable.

  It takes about 30 seconds until i can something into the search window.
- In this time, the contents of the GUI are redrawn three times.
+ (See also bug 964903.) In this time, the contents of the GUI are redrawn
+ three times.

  Installing commercial games like the ones from the Humble Indie Bundles
  takes a huge amount of time, in which the computer is barely usable at
  all. After minutes of waiting it is now clear if there is something
  installed at all.

  I have to wait for about 30 seconds to get a result from a search while
  installing any software.

  The time I have to wait is highest whenever I try to install a
  downloaded .deb - it often takes minutes even for a small 20kb program.

  USC is much slower when there are other programs (Firefox, Thunderbird e.g.)
running too.
  CPU is going nuts.

  I expect the USC to perform as fast a synaptic does when installing software.
  Not to mention gdebi for pre-downloaded packages.

  I hope this issue will be resolved in the future.

  Specs:
  Intel Atom N270 1,6 GHz
  2 GB RAM
  SSD
  Nvidia Geforce 8400
  (Lenovo S12 Netbook)

-
  Package: software-center 5.4.1.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-21-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia wl
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu9
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Dec 21 07:40:35 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: software-center
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-28 (53 days ago)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  USC performance bad

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  On my computer the Ubuntu Software Center is far from usable.

  It takes about 30 seconds until i can something into the search
  window. (See also bug 964903.) In this time, the contents of the GUI