Just tried deleted the partitions in Linux,  Loading Windows XP in
Virtualbox, creating a NTFS under Windows XP and copying files within
the virtual box Windows XP to and from the drive and then mounting the
NTFS partition under Linux.  I get the same problem as before as soon as
I read from the drive.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Hitachi Touro Desk Pro Drive Disappears From USB Bus When Reading From
  The Drive

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  Receive this error in the error log when reading from the drive -
  kernel: [18057.860057] usb 1-3: reset high-speed USB device number 18 using
ehci_hcd

  I have tried deleted all the partitions. Created a 350GB EXT4
  partition. Copied a 700MB file to it no problems. Tried copying the
  file back off the drive to the laptops drive and the problem re
  occurs. Therefore, this bug is when it reads from the drive rather
  than writes to the drive. It also appears I need to do the following
  in order for the drive to stay mounted -

  sudo echo 5 > /sys/module/usb_storage/parameters/delay_use

  What is interesting is if I leave the drive on after it has this error
  and disappears off the USB Bus, I can hear the drive....sounds like
  the heads are contractually trying to read the disk.

  Turn the drive off and on again, the drive mounts without problems -
  Dec 23 14:05:23 coralreef kernel: [20176.476132] EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted
filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
  Dec 23 14:05:23 coralreef udisksd[1731]: Mounted /dev/sdb1 at
/media/clownfish/EarthData on behalf of uid 1000.

  Can write to the drive without problems.

  As soon as I read from the drive and either copy to the same partition or
another partition on another drive, the system log reports -
  Dec 23 14:06:50 coralreef kernel: [20263.280037] usb 1-3: reset high-speed
USB device number 25 using ehci_hcd

  Package: gvfs 1.14.0-0ubuntu6
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-21-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu9
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sun Dec 23 13:54:38 2012
  HotplugNewDevices: /dev/sdb /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
  HotplugNewMounts:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release
i386(20121018)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gvfs
  Symptom: storage
  Title: Does not detect hotplugged storage device