Public bug reported:

I have fresh install of Ubuntu Precise on new disk and automount doesn't
work on any USB storage device nor on CD/DVD.

The only possibility that "mounts" disk "automatically" is opening and
closing usb-creator-gtk. Then disk is available (and mounted) in
Nautilus. USB disk disappears from Nautilus after unmounting it using
click to "open" button next to disk name in Nautilus. Using trick with
usb-creator-gtk dosn't help everytime - e.g. Garmin Oregon 550 normally
connects as 2 USB disks - main device + inserted sd card. However, usb-
creator-gtk mounts only sd card.

I am able to mount disks manually.

I had the same behaviour on the same computer with my old installation
(originally Ubuntu 5.10 or 6.06 with regular upgrades to Precise) -
originally everything was working properly, problem with automounting
has appeared probably sometimes between July and September (I don't
remember exactly since I have attributed this to me messing up somehow
my installation).

If you need any additional info, I can provide it from my current and
also from old installation.

Jan

Package: gvfs 1.12.1-0ubuntu1.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-35.55-generic-pae 3.2.34
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-35-generic-pae i686
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu15.1
Architecture: i386
Date: Wed Dec 26 22:45:43 2012
GvfsMonitorError:
 (gvfs-mount:7200): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: invoking IsSupported()
failed for remote volume monitor with dbus name
org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process
/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor received signal 6
GvfsMonitorLog: Monitoring events. Press Ctrl+C to quit.
HotplugNewDevices: /dev/sdc /dev/sdc1
HotplugNewMounts:

InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120817.1)
MarkForUpload: True
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=cs_CZ.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gvfs
Symptom: storage
Title: Does not detect hotplugged storage device

** Affects: gvfs (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 precise running-unity

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Does not automount hotplugged storage device - no USB, no CD/DVD

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu: