I'd say go for your Alt A, Robert, and I agree that an authentication
dialogue is better than the vanilla conf dialogue exactly like you say;
This will definitely make the general "wife" or "brother" pause to think
3 seconds before shutting down & killing other sessions.

I guess that power button is accessable to the common user in about 98%
of all use cases, and therefore I also agree that any user should be
able to perform a proper shutdown if he/she is working locally (either
from greeter or from session). HOWEVER, this makes it VERY important to
keep in mind what Matthew says about really being pushy on the
user...really trying to make him understand that this is serious
business. (This learning also comes from Windows where quite a few of us
have lost work due to the fact that wife/brother actually shut down the
computer without even thinking about other users. Well...maybe not THAT
many of us, since I guess Windows in general is considered a 1 user
system in more cases than unix.)

In the mean time (work-around):
For anyone with slight tech knowledge (like myself, and I emphasise slight in
this sentence), they are likely to have sudo permissions and be able to perform
'shutdown now' from a terminal anyway.

Thanks a lot to you guys in the team who actually FIX things for all of
us others who're just whining!!

:-) alfs

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  Shutdown from greeter does nothing when multiple accounts open

Status in The Session Menu:
  Triaged
Status in LightDM GTK+ Greeter:
  Triaged
Status in OEM Priority Project:
  In Progress
Status in OEM Priority Project precise series:
  In Progress
Status in Unity Greeter:
  Triaged
Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “indicator-session” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “policykit” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Selecting shutdown from the greeter does nothing when multiple
  accounts are open.

  This is because the lightdm user (which the greeter runs as) does not
  have permission to shutdown while sessions are open.  Inside a normal
  session this would just return you to the login screen.

  The solution is either for the indicator to say "not allowed" or to
  run a PolicyKit frontend in the greeter than can get the required
  permissions to perform the shutdown.