Just had this bug bite me.  Was really confused as to what was happening
when my some of my EPS files where missing several items, yet a PDF
export of the same SVG file had all the items.  Good thing I found this
before I reported another duplicate.

Still, this bug is really messing me up as I needed to export an EPS
file of the SVG file I'm working on right now.  Luckily, I had a copy of
the 7z archive of inkscape-0.48.1-2 on my HD, exported that to my
desktop and started up that old version and was able to get my EPS that
I needed right away and then go back to 0.48.4 for other stuff. :)

Hopefully, the newer version of Cairo can make an appearance in 0.48.5
for Windows if that does get released before 0.49.

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  Save as EPS or PS incomplete with cairo >= 1.10

Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool:
  Triaged
Status in Inkscape Devlibs for Windows:
  In Progress
Status in “inkscape” package in Ubuntu:

  When saving some svg files in ps or eps formats, the text in the
  figure doesn't appear in the saved files. I've tried all options like
  converting text to path. (See sample file)

  I'm using 64bit ubuntu 11.04. I've tried both the repository versions
  (0.48) and hand compiling the latest release (0.48.1) This conversion
  works fine on Windows.

  To reproduce:
  1. open test.svg in inkscape
  2. File -> Save as: choose eps in the file format
  3. Open saved file and notice that there is no text in the eps file.