Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and helping to make
Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an upstream one and it
would be nice if could send it  to the developers of the software:

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/report/2

** Changed in: transmission (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to transmission in Ubuntu.

  Enhancement: allow extration of single files from folder

Status in “transmission” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Some torrents represent folders containing files (e.g. Fedora or
  openSUSE installation ISOs).  Usually I only want a single file or two
  from this folder when I download such a torrent, and would rather than
  Transmission dropped those files straight into the download area,
  rather than re-creating the folder and putting the files in there.
  (E.g. downloading the file openSUSE-12.2-DVD-x86_64.iso from the
  torrent openSUSE-12.2-DVD-x86_64.iso.torrent still creates the
  directory openSUSE-12.2-DVD-x86_64.iso and places the file in there.)

  This request should probably go upstream unless it was fixed there
  very recently.

  Package: transmission (not installed)
  Date: Thu Oct  4 09:19:37 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: transmission
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-09-26 (7 days ago)