Keyboard issues with ubuntu 13.04 on Nexus 7 16gb wifi
I have stumbled upon a temp fix that worked for me;

when the keyboard comes up click the small 123 button on the keyboard should be
bottom right
then far left, click the red button with wrench and screwdriver
this will bring up a menu for the keyboard settings
click the last option "advanced"
then "touch input" should default to multi-touch
change this to single-touch

REBOOT

should be good to go!

16gb wifi aka grouper
Running MultiROM v3
Stock 4.2
cm 10.1
ubuntu 13.04

Packages, which is subscribed to gksu in Ubuntu.

  gksu's and gksudo's modal password prompt prevents OnBoard's virtual
  keyboard input, causing accessibility issues

Status in Ubuntu on the Nexus 7:
  New
Status in “gksu” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “ubuntu-defaults-nexus7” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm loath to report this as a bug, since it is functioning as
  designed, but I can't really find a better place to submit my
  complaint. I'm running 9.04 Netbook Remix, and if I run a GUI
  application and do something requiring sudo privileges, I receive a
  password prompt that blocks access to any other windows on the screen.
  Fine and good, but because of a disability, my only means of keyboard
  input is the OnBoard on-screen keyboard. My only recourse for such
  basic tasks as installing updates and adding packages is to pull out
  the terminal, hope I can find the pertinent command, and sudo it so I
  can give my password via terminal. This rather negates the convenience
  of doing these things from the GUI.

  Naturally, the expected behavior is that I be able to use OnBoard to
  enter my password into the prompt.

  Any other user who uses an on-screen keyboard or other GUI-based
  application for keyboard input will be susceptible to this issue. I
  imagine there are a fair number.