I can confirm #13 above - I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 x86_64, device is a
HP Photosmart Premium c309a. I also get the EOF (code=5) error.

** Also affects: hplip (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  Scanning with version 3.12.6 results in End Of File error messages

Status in HP Linux Imaging and Printing:
  Fix Released
Status in “hplip” package in Ubuntu:

  After updating to version 3.12.6 from 3.12.4, trying to scan (with hp-
  scan, scan-image, or xsane) results in an End of File error with the
  network printer HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier.  I attempted a full
  uninstall and reinstall from scratch in case the upgrade was in error,
  but that failed as well.  Reverting to 3.12.4 resolves the issue
  (though the annoying bug that it will not scan the back of the last
  page in duplex mode still exists, which I was hoping would be resolved
  in 3.12.6).