I'm guessing by the lack of response to my comments above that there's
little prospect of CUPS printing working for me again anytime in the
forseeable future. Right now I can only print by actually attaching the
printer to a WinXP instance running in VirtualBox, but this is way too
annoying and resource-intensive to keep doing.

Before I give up and punt to another distro, would anyone care to
comment on the feasibility of ripping out the entire 12.10 userspace
print stack and replacing with the one from 10.04, which worked
perfectly well for me for years? I'm guessing I'll run into dependency
hell that will make it practically impossible, but maybe it's not as bad
as I'm imagining?

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Brother HL-1440 printing extra page with PJL codes

Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “cups” source package in Precise:

  When I send a job to the printer, it often (but not always) has an
  extra page before my print job with what appears to be PJL codes being
  printed out as text.  It usually looks something like this:

  JL SET MEDIATYPE-REGULAR
                                                       @PJL SET SOURCETRAY=AUTO

                               @PJL SET RESOLUTION=300

   @PJL SET
  (the last line may be cut off by the right margin)

  This behavior started after I switched to Ubuntu 12.04.

  I am assuming this problem is in the printer driver (or somewhere in
  the print handling sequence), since it appears when printing from
  different programs.

  Release: 12.04
  Package version: 1.5.2-9ubuntu1

  Per instructions, I am attaching a print job I captured which shows
  the error.

  [IMPACT]

  Users of the Brother HL-1440 (and some other printers) get pages with
  PJL commands when they print after the upgrade from Lucid LTS or
  Oneiric to Precise LTS. In Precise the problem was solved by an ugly
  workaround of blacklisting the usblp kernel module in the first CUPS
  SRU. This solution breaks printing for other users, those who use
  proprietary printer drivers with CUPS backends based on the old
  /dev/usb/lp* device files and also users who send jobs by directly
  sending data to the /dev/usb/lp* device files. This worked under Lucid
  LTS.

  The libusb-based USB backend of CUPS was far from completely
  implemented. It lacked the ability to communicate uni-directionally
  with devices which are not able to communicate bi-directionally,
  refrain from re-attaching the usblp kernel module after printing for
  some devices, reset the printer after printing the job, ... In the
  proposed package these adaptations for devices with quirks are done in
  the USB backend. Especially this backend now works with said Brother
  printer by built-in exception rules for this model, so that the
  communication is done uni-directionally and the usblp kernel module
  will not get re-attached to the printer after printing the job. This
  makes the printer working without blacklisting the usblp module. So
  this second SRU is an improved solution.

  [TESTCASE]

  Unfortunately, for reproducing this bug one needs the actual printer.

  Connect a Brother HL-1440 to the USB port of the computer.

  With stock Precise (without updates) you will not be able to print
  correctly, you will get the PJL code. After applying the already
  available updates (including the first SRU for CUPS) you will be able
  to print, but only because the usblp kernel module is blacklisted.
  Remove the blacklisting via

  sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf ~
  sudo modprobe usblp

  and you will get the problem again.

  After installing the proposed package the kernel module is not
  blacklisted any more and you will still be able to print.

  If you are on a Precise with all updates and you have a print queue
  with an URI containing /dev/usb/lp* you will not be able to print.
  This worked with stock Precise and works again with the proposed
  package.

  You can easily test this with any Ubuntu-supported USB printer:

  lpadmin -p test -E -v parallel:/dev/usb/lp0 -m <PPD file which works with
this printer>
  lpadmin -p test -o PageSize=A4
  lp- d test ~/.bashrc

  The printing on this queue works on stock Precise, does not work on
  Precise with all updates (usblp is blacklisted) and works again with
  the proposed package.

  [Regression Potential]

  The patch looks perhaps more dramatic than it is. This is because
  several code sections are put into "if" blocks, indenting all the
  (unchanged) code lines. This especially happens because now we
  suppress using the back channel for selected printers (and also
  printers which claim to be uni-directional only).

  The code was developed in several steps and uploaded step-by-step to
  my PPA. There the reporters of the bugs covered by this SRU and some
  additional bugs (bug 902535, bug 995111) tested it intensively. They
  did not hit any regressions compared to stock Precise or the first
  CUPS SRU.

  The code is also applied to the CUPS package in Quantal and this also
  did not cause any regression bug report yet.

  I have tested the code on four HP printers (HP LaserJet 3390, HP Color
  LaserJet CM3530 MFP, HP PhotoSmart C8100, HP PhotoSmart C5200, all on
  direct USB) and one Epson printer (Epson Stylus Photo 880, both direct
  USB and parallel with Prolific USB -> Parallel adaptor) and all work
  fine, no regressions.