upower didn't change recently, but the Linux kernel did. Can you please
copy&paste the output of "upower --dump" from a Terminal window? Any
chance you could also do this with a previous Ubuntu version or just a
previous kernel when this was still working correctly, so that we can
compare the outputs?

>From you saying "I updated my raring installation" it sounds like it
might still have worked with 3.7; if you still have that installed, you
can pick that from grub, boot with that, and get the upower dump?
Thanks!

** Changed in: upower (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  power indicator shows that keyboard & mouse are missing when they are
  not

Status in The Power Indicator:
  Invalid
Status in “indicator-power” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “upower” package in Ubuntu:

  I updated by raring installation and found that the power indicator
  now shows my wireless keyboard and mouse as (missing) and with
  extremely low power. Both the keyboard and mouse work (I'm using them
  to type this bug) and the low battery light on the respective devices
  do not show low power. Even switching to brand new batteries don't
  make the indicator change state.

  I've attached a screenshot of the indicator and a screen shot of the
  power setting dialog which seems to be in conflict with the indicator.

  I've reproduced this behavior with the 3.8.0-0-generic &
  vmlinuz-3.8.0-1-generic kernels.

  Package: indicator-power 12.10.6daily13.01.18-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-0.4-generic 3.8.0-rc3
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-0-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jan 22 11:39:23 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: indicator-power
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-01-18 (3 days ago)