Public bug reported:

System description: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with GNOME Classic (using Compiz);
light-themes version: 0.1.9.1-0ubuntu1.2

Bug description:
------------------
Main menu headers (Applications and Places) are placed too tightly in GNOME
Classic session.
If you put some launchers on the top panel, they are also placed without any
spacing (take a look at screenshot, notice separator items which really don't
separate anything).

Proposed fix:
--------------
Add the padding property to the files:
/usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/apps/gnome-panel.css
/usr/share/themes/Radiance/gtk-3.0/apps/gnome-panel.css

Code:
------
.gnome-panel-menu-bar.menubar .menuitem,
PanelWidget .button {
padding: 0px 4px;
}

Notes: I used 4 pixel padding for both objects, but this property can be set
separately using different padding settings for each object. Launcher padding
can be increased to 6 pixel to make it even with Indicator Applet icons
padding, but we must bear in mind that bottom panel task buttons also will
become wider, as they are also Panel Widgets.
Also remains unresolved issue with launcher icons size. As you can see on the
applied screenshot they occupy all place from the top to the bottom of the
panel, without any border. They ignore gtk-icon-sizes setting in
/usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and cannot be resized.

** Affects: light-themes (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Original menu and launchers placement"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1103381/+attachment/3496172/+files/Before.png

Packages, which is subscribed to light-themes in Ubuntu.

  Menu and launcher spacing on the top panel is incorrect

Status in “light-themes” package in Ubuntu: