Yes, we should. I'm not sure when it will happen, though. We're under pressure
to add user-facing features this cycle. Patches are welcome.
Marking this as a duplicate of bug #1074448 and I've opened new bug #1105843
for the second part of the summary.

   How about support XDG dir structure

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  Please support XDG base directory spec

Status in Onboard on-screen keyboard:
  New
Status in “onboard” package in Ubuntu:

  Please support the XDG base directory specification. This will make
  backups noticeably easier and will help reduce the excessively
  cluttered home directory problem.

  On my Ubuntu 13.04 Alpha computer, there is a ~/.onboard directory
  with two empty directories inside themes and layouts. If these are
  empty, perhaps they shouldn't be created?

  More information at http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-
  spec/latest/ar01s03.html or
  https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders or
  http://ploum.net/post/207-modify-your-application-to-use-xdg-folders

  Package: onboard 0.99.0~alpha1~tr1190-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-1.5-generic 3.8.0-rc4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-1-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64