Initially I was the person who reported this bug. So I would like to
confirm xorg.conf which attached by intel (dts-dreamer) works for me as
a workaround. Now I can use 1920x1080 resolution in my VMware
Workstation 9 with Ubuntu 12.10.

Thanks for the workaround!

totya

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Unable to set 1920x1080 resolution in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 as a VMWare
  Workstation 8 guest

Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  My host system is Win7 64bit. My notebook has 1920x1080 native
  resolutions. I’m running VMWare Workstation 8 for desktop
  virtualization. Today I’ve installed Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 as a guest. I
  was unable to set 1920x1080 resolution on the guest side. The gnome-
  control-center display command offered me a lot of other resolutions,
  but 1920x1080.

  I’ve also installed the vmware-tools, because I assumed the absence of that
tool is the problem. However I’ve had to realize the problem still exist after
a successful vmware-tools installation. (Yep, I did a reboot after the
installation.)
  I have to say my Ubuntu 11.10 works like a charm, so for that version the
1920x1080 not a problem at all.

  If you need more information to fix this problem, I’m glade to help
  you.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.4.0-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-20.33-generic-pae 3.2.12
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-20-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Mar 30 14:30:13 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386
(20120327.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   TERM=xterm