Same here, both Totem and VLC fail to play videos off my NAS drive, and
Totem cannot be killed but VLC can be killed but remains shown as a
zombie. The NAS drive cannot be unmounted as it shows in use by Totem,
and I have to reboot to clear that.

Why is   /home/user/.gvfs no longer  used and instead
/run/user/user/gvfs/  used to display the mount?

This is a very major problem for me in how my systems are used, so
hopefully it will get some attention quickly.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  mounted samba share stops working for file access

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 12.10 - same problem when acessing SMB shares from two computers
  same for shares both on Ubuntu 12.10 server, and a windows server.

  Reproduce;
  it helps if you play a video/movie using vlc or mplayer from share.   the
file should be open for hours. (use pause)
  - when unpaused, the file will play fine.
  -no new big files on that share will open, small files may work.
  unmounting + remounting  the SMB share may fixe the problem, but other
processes may be affected:
  VLC - while stuck with such samba problem,  is impossible to kill, same for
smplayer
  sudo killall vlc -s KILL
  .. will not kill it.
  and so unmounting the share takes >10 attempts..

  Package: gvfs-backends 1.14.0-0ubuntu6
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia