I was having this problem on Quantal, which led me to this issue. But it
turned out that there was an open dialog from an earlier backup, hidden
behind other windows, complaining about being unable to read some
directories. I dismissed the dialog and restarted the restore; it works.
I suspect this means that it cannot do another backup until I dismiss
this dialog. That seems wrong.

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Error when trying to restore files using "Restore Missing Files" in
  deja-dup

Status in “deja-dup” package in Ubuntu:

  If I try to restore a specific folder with deja-dup by using the "file ->
restore missing files..." option in nautilus, I am prompted with an error
message that says "another backup operation is already running".  This error
persists through a reboot.
  Yesterday I was restoring a folder using this method when I was forced to
cancel the restore process by clicking the "cancel" button, that was the last
time that the restoration process worked.

  This bug persists even if the cache directory ($HOME/.cache/deja-dup)
  is deleted.

  Package: deja-dup 23.2-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-2.2-generic 3.5.0-rc4