Funny, I have the opposite problem.  I'm from the US, but I use en-GB
because I want words to be spelt correctly without any ugly
Americanisms.  When I search from Firefox, Google (.com) gives me links
to mostly UK sites (like amazon.co.uk, ebay.co.uk, etc.) which I really
do not want, because of the unnecessary "gl=uk" parameter.  We need to
be careful about recognizing the difference between *language* and
*region*.  In any case, Google now allows you to set your location
manually which I believe is the sensible way to fix this bug.

  Firefox en-GB locale uses google.com for search

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  Current behaviour:

  1) Start Firefox
  2) Press ctrl-k, type e.g. 'laptop' and hit enter
  3) You are taken to a page of google.com search results, including links to
US-only stores, shopping results with prices in dollars etc.

  Correct behaviour:

  You are taken to google.co.uk, and correctly localised results are
  displayed.

  Extra info:

  See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1354830#4 for a
  workaround.