This bug was fixed in the package deja-dup - 22.0-0ubuntu3

---------------
deja-dup (22.0-0ubuntu3) precise-proposed; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/ignore-steam.patch:
    - Always ignore ~/Steam (via ~/.steam/root).  Patch from upstream
      trunk.  LP: #1083237
 -- Michael Terry <mte...@ubuntu.com>   Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:46:55 -0500

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu Precise)

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu Quantal)

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Ignore Steam files by default

Status in Déjà Dup Backup Tool:
  Fix Released
Status in “deja-dup” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “deja-dup” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “deja-dup” source package in Quantal:

  [Impact]
  Steam is coming to Ubuntu (already in beta).  Steam games are enormous,
synchronized, and off-site.  No need to back them up.

  Once users start playing Steam games, a user that enabled backups with
  Deja Dup's default settings will find that all of a sudden, many gigs
  of data are being backed up.

  Now, obviously this is a bit of a whack-a-mole problem.  Many apps
  like Steam don't properly follow the XDG basedir spec and put cached
  data in ~/.cache so that Deja Dup and similar apps will ignore them.
  And we don't want to SRU a fix for every single non-compliant app.

  But Steam is a big one.  It's both very popular and its data is very
  very large.  I think it's worth an exception to avoid the pain and bug
  reports that will come when many people suddenly add multiple gigs of
  useless data to their backups.

  [Workaround]
  A user can simply add ~/Steam to the backup ignore list.  But every single
user that uses Steam will want to do that.  It's a big burden to ask of each
user individually.

  [Test Case]
  Try backing up your home directory with Steam installed.  Notice that it will
include ~/Steam.  With this patch (from upstream), it will ignore ~/Steam
instead.

  [Regression Potential]
  It's a very simple fix.  I think regression potential is exceedingly tiny.

  [Fix Details]
  We add ~/.steam/root to the hidden default ignore list.  ~/.steam/root points
at ~/Steam (which will also be ignored) unless the user has manually changed it.