Indeed,
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/commit/?id=95184593504bca5240ecd296db98954decd2c5a5
covers exactly the device which Pete is reporting. Unfortunately the
sysfs dump isn't enough to reproduce the error as these devices do not
report their charge level through sysfs.

I assumed that earlier upower versions reported the correct charge
levels, but now I realize that the description did not actually say
this. So did that actually work before? if so, that would seem a bit
magic to me as I can't see any code in upower which does that in a way
other than looking in sysfs.

Packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  power indicator shows that keyboard & mouse are missing when they are
  not

Status in The Power Indicator:
  Invalid
Status in “indicator-power” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “upower” package in Ubuntu:

  I updated by raring installation and found that the power indicator
  now shows my wireless keyboard and mouse as (missing) and with
  extremely low power. Both the keyboard and mouse work (I'm using them
  to type this bug) and the low battery light on the respective devices
  do not show low power. Even switching to brand new batteries don't
  make the indicator change state.

  I've attached a screenshot of the indicator and a screen shot of the
  power setting dialog which seems to be in conflict with the indicator.

  I've reproduced this behavior with the 3.8.0-0-generic &
  vmlinuz-3.8.0-1-generic kernels.

  Package: indicator-power 12.10.6daily13.01.18-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-0.4-generic 3.8.0-rc3
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-0-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jan 22 11:39:23 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: indicator-power
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-01-18 (3 days ago)
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  Package: upower 0.9.19-1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-1.5-generic 3.8.0-rc4
  Tags:  raring running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-1-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-01-18 (4 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip libvirtd lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo