   dpkg-maintscript-helper: warning: environment variable
DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE missing

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  "dpkg-reconfigure lightdm" fails

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  GDM was used instead of lightdm, so I uninstalled it (sudo aptitude
  remove gdm), it told me to uninstall also gdm-guest-session. And it
  told me to run "dpkg-reconfigure lightdm". But it fails, so I have to
  manually launch "sudo lightdm" from TTY1 to log in.

  $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
  dpkg-maintscript-helper: warning: environment variable DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_NAME
missing
  dpkg-maintscript-helper: warning: environment variable
DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE missing
  $

  Package: lightdm 0.9.7-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic i686