Wow, we're seeing a fix, after only 7 years  :)

Great work, Gunnar!

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  language-selector should not uninstall packages without a warning
  (allow opt-out)

Status in “language-selector” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “language-selector” source package in Precise:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Precise SRU proposal
  ====================

  [Impact]
  When removing a language, not language specific packages are removed as well,
some of which you may not want to be deleted. I (gunnarhj) have occationally
experienced that e.g. evince and gimp - packages I often use - are suddenly
gone. Very annoying!

  [Test Case]
  Steps to reproduce with version 0.79:
  - Install a random language.
  - Launch gnome-language-selector from a terminal window.
  - Start removing the language, but interrupt by clicking "Cancel" when asked
to authenticate.
  - Make a note of the list of packages that were about to be removed.

  After installing version 0.79.2 (will be available in precise-proposed):
  - Launch gnome-language-selector from a terminal window.
  - Remove the previously installed language.
  - Note that the list of removed packages is shorter than before.

  [Regression Potential]
  The fix simply restricts which packages are removed. Besides the intentional
and harmless effect that some redundant packages are kept when a language is
removed, the regression risk is low.

  [Original description]
  After upgrading a recently-installed xubuntu-desktop from breezy to dapper, I
ran gnome-language-selector for the first time.

  I selected Norwegian bokmål as my supported (and default) language,
  and pressed apply.   As I watched the debug log, I discovered that
  language-selector removed the xubuntu-desktop, firefox and mozilla-
  mplayer packages _without warning_.

  My language-selector package is version 0.1.15