I believe this should be one of the highlights of raring that this
actually works at last.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  [gm45] Mouse moves erratically after executing xrandr --panning

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: xorg

  UPDATE - details are wrong, jumps happen when the mouse is causing
  panning on the smaller screen. Using nomodeset fixes it.

  The mouse makes random jumps of about 20 pixels while being moved. Its
  very much like using an optical mouse on too smooth a surface - but
  this is when using a thinkpad trackpoint device - no other pointing
  device plugged in.

  This happens after executing the following commands

  xrandr --fb 1920x1200
  xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1200
  xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800
  xrandr --output VGA1 --pos 0x0
  xrandr --output LVDS1 --panning 1920x1200+0+0/1920x1200+0+0/0/0/0/0

  (Specifically, after executing the last one).

  Its very difficult to pick accurately a place to click, so if I am
  trying to maximise or minimise a window for instance, sometimes it
  kills the window instead - and vice versa.

  It only starts when the xrand panning command is activated. However I
  have been desperate for this feature to be put back since it was
  removed in a past version of Ubuntu and I am loathe to ditch panning.

  An accurate description is this. Picking a point to click, lets say
  the 'file' dialogue in a window, I move the mouse towards this point.
  As I get close, the mouse starts 'vibrating' rapidly (at a guess about
  10 jumps per second). When I stop moving the mouse, the pointer stays
  still.  However the pointer might not be where I need it. I move the
  mouse one pixel (very carefully) towards where I want it to be, and it
  shoots about 20 pixels down and to the right. Move another pixel and
  it jumps back to the original position, etc. The result with slow
  mouse movement is a vibrating mouse pointer that you can not place
  anywhere.

  This only happens in certain parts of the screen, but which part
  randomly varies. If I go back to a part of the screen where the
  pointer was vibrating 2 mins ago, it might not be vibrating now.
  However it might be vibrating if I move it to a different part of the
  screen now. As I work, it gets in the way frequently, at least once a
  minute. It also happens when I am simply over the desktop, and not
  over any application buttons or similar.

  I have also filed a different bug which is related to panning and the
  mouse, which might be related, and which prevents the smaller window
  into a larger virtual screen scrolling to the edge of the screen
  sometimes.

  My setup is a lenovo x200 laptop which is brand new, but which I tried
  with windows 7 first without a problem. It has a dell 24 inch monitor
  plugged in and I use the 2 screens at the same time, with a 1920x1200
  virtual screen, with the monitor displaying this resolution natively
  and the laptop with a 1280x800 screen displaying a 1280x800 window
  into the virtual screen. Obviously the laptop screen pans around
  inside the virtual screen. The laptop is running a clean 9.10 install
  which has been updated by the update manager.

  Before I execute the panning xrand command, the problem is not there.

  If anyone can suggest things to try I will be glad to try them.

  Best regards, Pete

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386