Ubuntu 13.04 PulseAudio 3.0 (today's update) . If I run VLC sound
disappears completely in the system. Other players work normally. I need
to restart PulseAudio to get sound back.

Workaround is like in PulseAudio 2.x - set the Alternate rate to 44100

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound lags when opening video files

Status in PulseAudio sound server:
  Fix Released
Status in VLC media player:
  Invalid
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “vlc” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When I open any video file from Nautilus or from VLC I see that video
  starts but there is no sound. It takes a few seconds and the sound
  appears, but since the beginning of the audio track. So video and
  sound are out of sync.

  The workaround is to rewind the video at the beginning by using the
  slider.

  Package: vlc-nox 2.0.4-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia