Julien was talking to me on IRC, and got me some clarifications:

 - The "invalid bit mask" thing is something else, and nothing to worry
about.

 - In the original bug report, both devices were "present", whereas in
my remote ssh testing they are both "offline". That's because these
devices power down after some minutes of inactivity, which is plausible
because the person owning this device is asleep right now, and I only
have ssh access.

 - You can't read charge levels or much else from powered down devices.
However, that's not the bug here as even in the original report, where
both devices are online, the percentage is 0%

 - Julien only wrote support for the HID 1.0 protocol, but on that
machine they are using HID++ 2.0.

So we are back to the original problem that upower should not claim a 0%
percentage if its actually unable to read the percentage.

Also, it seems that the refactoring patch broke these devices entirely,
but that might also just be fallout from the powered down devices
somehow, and thus I'd rather let Julien test it again on master.

Thanks!

Packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  power indicator shows Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse batteries
  with 0%

Status in The Power Indicator:
  Invalid
Status in Upower:
  Confirmed
Status in “indicator-power” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “upower” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “indicator-power” source package in Raring:
  Invalid
Status in “upower” source package in Raring:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  I updated by raring installation and found that the power indicator
  now shows my wireless keyboard and mouse as (missing) and with
  extremely low power. Both the keyboard and mouse work (I'm using them
  to type this bug) and the low battery light on the respective devices
  do not show low power. Even switching to brand new batteries don't
  make the indicator change state.

  I've attached a screenshot of the indicator and a screen shot of the
  power setting dialog which seems to be in conflict with the indicator.

  I've reproduced this behavior with the 3.8.0-0-generic &
  vmlinuz-3.8.0-1-generic kernels.

  Package: indicator-power 12.10.6daily13.01.18-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-0.4-generic 3.8.0-rc3
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-0-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jan 22 11:39:23 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: indicator-power
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-01-18 (3 days ago)
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  Package: upower 0.9.19-1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-1.5-generic 3.8.0-rc4
  Tags:  raring running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-1-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-01-18 (4 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip libvirtd lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo