I have this issue on two computers, both upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10.
I've mostly given up hope on ever running webapps at all but recently I
discovered some new stuff.

1) Creating an syslink in /usr/local/share/ to /usr/share/unity-webapps/
seems to work. This is even after purging a all possible packages that
are related to webapps!

Even after doing this I still can't run any webapps but the Twitter
webapps keep showing up, even after I removed the package. My guess is
that somehow older configuration stuff from the PPA is still on my
system and is looking at the older files.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-chromium-extension in Ubuntu.

  webapps are not working :(

Status in Chromium extension: Unity Integration:
  Confirmed
Status in WebApps: Initial set of Apps:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity-chromium-extension” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “webapps-applications” package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading my 12.04 to 12.10 - web apps do not work out of the
  box (I had to install the chromium extension myself). Additionally,
  even after installing the extension, webapps are not working fully.
  Please see thread here: