Actually if printer not available then test page is printed on available
printer. It seems to me that more consistent behavior is to send an
error rather then redirect printing job to available printer.

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  Test page is printed on available printer if the printer under test is
  unavailable

Status in “system-config-printer” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.1 with GNOME Classic.
  I've got one printer in my system, HP LaserJet 3052, which is connected as
network printer. Obviously, it is set as default. Its URI is
'hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_3052?zc=NPIE50CCB' and its driver is 'HP LaserJet 3052
Postscript (recommended)'.
  Later I added second printer using GNOME Printers applet. Second printer
model is HP LaserJet 1220, it is connected via SAMBA with URI
'smb://XX.XX.XX.XX/HPLaserJ' and I used recommended driver for this printer.
  When the setup was finished I sent test page to this printer and nothing
happened. I switched from recommended driver to CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8 driver
and sent another test page, but nothing happened again.
  My default HP LaserJet 3052 pinter was turned off at this moment, but when I
switched it on, both test pages were printed on this printer instead. They got
Job ID, Driver Version and Description of HP LaserJet 1220, but both tests were
sent from the spool to the default HP LaserJet 3052 printer, not to the printer
they were intended for.