I'd love to see the full debug logs for NM. As per our IRC discussion,
can you please attach those to the bug as well?

sudo stop network-manager
sudo /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon --log-level=debug > nm.log 2>&1

On quick glance, I wonder if it's not that it's trying to bring up the
devices with IPv6 automatic, and required for the connection to stay up.
It looks like what was happening in those cases, and should be very
clear in the logs if it's the cause of the issues, and any other cause
should be pretty clear from the NM debug logs as well.

At least from the fact that the behavior shows in ip monitor when NM is
running, and doesn't show when it's not running, indicates to me that
it's likely a bug in NM.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (mathieu-tl)

  NetworkManager increases CPU utilization

Status in NetworkManager:
  Confirmed
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Observed in systems if gnome gui is installed. NetworkManager will
  usually one of the cores to 100%. Killing unused services like avahi
  and cups didn't seem to help. Restarting the dbus service fixes the
  issue /etc/init.d/dbus restart

  Need to find root cause.