We're closing this bug since there has not been a response from the original
reporter.  However, the issue still exists please feel free to reopen with the
requested information.  If you're not the original reporter, we'd prefer you
file a new bug report.

Some tips:

  * Report X.org bugs via the command:  `ubuntu-bug xorg`

  * Test against the latest development Ubuntu.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/
    Bugs marked as affecting the development version tend to get priority
attention.

  * The `xdiagnose` utility has functionality for enabling debugging and
    analyzing a few common X problems.

  * Tag your bugs with the Ubuntu versions you have reproduced the issue
in.

  * See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Reporting for tips on writing good bug
reports.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  [i915] [regression] Xorg excessive use of CPU (after update from lucid
  to precise)

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I updated from lucid to precise about three weeks ago, hoping that the
  major wrinkles would have been ironed out by now.  Unfortuantely, that
  isn't so.  One very major complication for me is that over time X will
  use up vast amounts of CPU cycles, usually reaching 100% on one core
  after about 24 hours of uptime.  The computer is an ASUS 1001P with
  intel i915 graphics.

  Obviously, the whole system becomes very sluggish, fans running on
  high speed when X grabs a full core for itself.  After closing all
  programs, X release the grip somewhat but keeps oscillating between 20
  and 60% load on a single core with essentially no other programs
  running.

  I am aware this may very well be a bug in another package and not in X
  itself.  So far I can't pinpoint anything, except that it appears that
  Firefox with many tabs open seems to be an accelerating factor to
  deteriorate the situation.  I carried over the Firefox package from
  lucid to precise and updated from version 15 to 17 only yesterday.  I
  pin Firefox because the recent release cycle is exposing me to too
  many regressions.  I hoped the problem with X might go away by going
  to 17 now but that's not the case.  Since version 15 acted fine in
  lucid and a precise installation with the same package misbehaved this
  seems to indicate that Firefox might not be the culprit (although I
  wouldn't yet rule it out completely).

  The problem occurs with both the lucid, precise and mainline kernel,
  although I felt it might have taken longer with the lucid kernel.

  Since it takes a while for the regression to rear its head, I'm afraid
  I can't test with a live CD or a later relase, I need my computer.
  I'm willing to do gdb or git bisection work, but I'm somewhat
  inexperienced how to get X to run inside gdb.  Some guidance would be
  appreciated.

  Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4.2
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-34-generic i686
  .tmp.unity.support.test.0:

  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu15
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,mousepoll,screenshot,regex,move,snap,gnomecompat,wall,vpswitch,place,session,resize,grid,animation,imgpng,expo,ezoom,workarounds,fade,scale,unityshell]
  CompositorRunning: None