Apologies if I overreacted in my earlier comment - attaching the
backtrace from current stable branch (Inkscape 0.48.4 r9945):

Crash produced by these steps:
1) launch inkscape (default prefs, new default document)
2) click on the 'Ellipse' tool in the toolbox on the left
3) draw an ellipse (i.e. x- and y-radius differ)
4) press 'Shift+Ctrl' and click on the left square knot of the ellipse

-> inkscape crashes, instead of resizing the ellipse to a circle (x- and
y-radius equal)

So far, I haven't been able to reproduce this with current trunk builds.

** Attachment added: "1152629-bt-full-048x-debug-osx-x11-64bit.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1152629/+attachment/3564039/+files/1152629-bt-full-048x-debug-osx-x11-64bit.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  Logged out by creating and modifying a circle

Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool:
  Invalid
Status in “inkscape” package in Ubuntu:

  I am using Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome Shell 3.6.2, and Inkscape Version
  0.48.

  Click on Circle tool and drop one on canvas.
  Then hold down CTRL and LEFT SHIFT keys simultainously, while hovering over
just dropped circle.
  Then click LEFT mouse button.

  RESULT: Automatically logged out from Ubuntu. All running work is
  lost.