This is maybe the "best" workaround for Pidgin

Just edit the file "/usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop"
Add to the line "Exec=" the text "env NSS_SSL_CBC_RANDOM_IV=0"

This is my desktop file on 12.10:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Pidgin Internet Messenger
GenericName=Internet Messenger
Comment=Chat over IM.  Supports AIM, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN, Yahoo and
more
Exec=env NSS_SSL_CBC_RANDOM_IV=0 pidgin
Icon=pidgin
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;InstantMessaging;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=pidgin

** Also affects: pidgin-sipe (Debian) via

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  Pidgin-sipe connection error after upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04

Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “pidgin-sipe” package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Have upgraded from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm no longer able to
connect to Microsoft Office Communicator.
  Every time I try to reconnect I get a "Read error".

  Any support is appreciated.

  Regards,
  Tibi