(Need to clarify my previous comment - seems to be a problem in gphoto
that only shows itself in 64-bit builds.)

Packages, which is subscribed to gimp in Ubuntu.

  GIMP: Could not mount Canon Digital Camera

Status in libgphoto:
  New
Status in “gimp” package in Ubuntu:

  Objective: To access raw photo image files from my Canon 400D digital
  camera, using a USB connection.

  Result: GIMP (and UFRaw) produce the following error message:

            Could not mount Canon Digital Camera
            Error initialising camera: -1: Unspecified error

  To explain my route to this error within GIMP, I went to FIle -> Open
  -> Canon Digital Camera, at which point it then hangs, eventually
  producing the above error within a popup message.

  The exact same error is produced when trying to select the Canon
  Digital Camera when using UFRaw.

  (Related is the fact that the RawTherapee application crashes when
  trying to select the camera device using its own folder list.)

  I have searched for a solution of the above, but have only found that
  this problem may somehow be related to USB 3.0. If so, then this is a
  problem for me as I only have USB 3 (rather than USB 2) ports on my
  Asus UX31A.

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  (Note I am using XUBUNTU 12.10)

  apt-cache policy gimp
  gimp:
    Installed: 2.8.2-1ubuntu1.1
    Candidate: 2.8.2-1ubuntu1.1
    Version table:
   *** 2.8.2-1ubuntu1.1 0
          500 http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2.8.2-1ubuntu1 0
          500 http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages

  Package: gimp 2.8.2-1ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
  Date: Mon Dec 31 14:43:21 2012
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64
(20121017.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: gimp