Comment #31 : me too! I.e., on precise 12.04.2, LO version:
4.0.1~rc2-0ubuntu1~precise1~ppa1 the all important alt key is useless.

  [Libreoffice] Mnemonics do not work in Unity

Status in Unity:
  Triaged
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  When lo-menubar is installed and LibreOffice is open with a document,
  the keyboard shortcuts to access menus like Alt + F for file etc do
  not work. Menu keyboard shortcuts are working for other apps via
  indicator-menu.

  WORKAROUND: Disable the global menu by removing the package
  "libreoffice-gtk".

  This might be solved if bug #1064962 is solved.