@seb128 -

That second command pointed to the old picture which was still in my
downloads directory, I deleted it, and then logged out. Then I had the
default UG wallpaper not my custom desktop.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  wallpaper not updating

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Steps:
  1. Find a wallpaper image on the web in firefox
  2. Right click and choose Set as Desktop Background
  3. Log out, notice that it uses the new background in the greeter for that
user, as expected
  4. Login again
  5. repeat #2 with a different image
  6. Log out, note that the backgorund is the background set in #2, not the one
set in #5

  I even went and renamed the wallpaper image and put it in my Pictures
  directory. Then I set the background image with the settings tool. The
  image still did not update in the greeter.

  Package: lightdm 1.4.0-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-5.10-generic 3.8.0-rc6
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-5-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sun Feb 17 15:11:27 2013
  LightdmConfig:
   [SeatDefaults]
   autologin-user=ubuntu
   user-session=ubuntu
   greeter-session=unity-greeter
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-02-11 (6 days ago)