Public bug reported:

Ever since I use my "Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000", I get
the problem, that scrolling is extremely fast after restarting the
computer after using Windows. The issue seems to be well documented, as
several other users have come across this problem [1]. The common
workaround seems to be un- and replugging the mouse's usb adaptor [2]. I
can confirm this workaround works. Another solution is offered by Paul
Richards with his resetmsmice script [3][4]. These utilities do work,
and it is less difficult to run a single sudo command than to go duck
diving underneath my desk each time I start ubuntu. According to this
[5] thread, he has also submitted a kernel patch, but it does not seem
to have made it through to me, as the problem perseveres even with
ubuntu 12.10. Is there any possibilities of adding these kernel fixes to
the kernel used by ubuntu? I have never comiled a kernel myself, but I
would gladly assist testing anything.

[1] https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu%20microsoft%20scroll%20fast#
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/47100/mouse-wheel-scrolling-too-fast
[3] https://github.com/paulrichards321/resetmsmice
[4] https://sourceforge.net/projects/resetmsmice/files/
[5]
http://www.jochus.be/site/2010-08-02/linux/microsoft-wireless-laser-mouse-5000-scroll-speed-too-fast-ubuntu-lucid-1004-lts

** Affects: ubuntu

** Package changed: firefox (Ubuntu) => ubuntu

** Description changed:

- Ever since I use my "Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse", I get the
[...]

  Scroll speed too fast with Mircosoft mice

Status in Ubuntu: