On 2013-03-25 18:15, عبدالله شلي (Abdellah Chelli) wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunna...@ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> * The fontconfig file /etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-nonlatin.conf says "Urdu
>>   Nastaliq Unicode", which means that the font it states as the default
>>   is not available.
>
> Yes
>
> I wasn't knowing which package should take care of this. Also I was
> thinking about replacing "Ubuntu" font like "Gnome Tweak Tool" do.
> Where here it with fontconfig it seems to me like 'font priority
> list', is it so?

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

> if yes, so the font mentioned here is just a
> fallback. because there other Arabic script fonts at the top of it.

Yes, a fallback or default. Ok, so you mean that if you have one of
those other Arabic fonts installed that claims to be capable of
rendering Urdu, that font will be used in any case.

This may explain the lack of progress so far for you.

> Please, let me know if I didn't understand you well.

I think you did.

This is indeed a learning process for me.

As you may have noticed, I forwarded the proposal with respect to
fontconfig to freedesktop.org, which is where the fontconfig package
resides upstream. The first reaction, which you can see here in comment
#25, is to not change the Urdu default upstream unless there is a
consensus among Urdu speaking users. But Akiro also mentions the
possibility to have own recipes to give a font a priority.

By looking at other fontconfig files I created the attached file 90
-fonts-nafees.conf. As an experiment, can you please carry out these
steps:

* Save 90-fonts-nafees.conf in /etc/fonts/conf.avail

* Change directory to /etc/fonts/conf.d

* Create a symlink by typing this command:
  sudo ln -s ../conf.avail/90-fonts-nafees.conf 90-fonts-nafees.conf

Please let us know if that makes a difference.

** Attachment added: "90-fonts-nafees.conf"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fontconfig/+bug/1153188/+attachment/3597419/+files/90-fonts-nafees.conf

Packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  Urdu with better support:  Default Fonts, Kbd Layout

Status in Fontconfig - Font Configuration Library:
  Confirmed
Status in “fontconfig” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “fonts-nafees” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “fonts-nafees” package in Debian:

  Default fonts in Ubuntu show ugly Urdu text.

  It's better that language-selector sets "Nafees Regular" (Nafees Web
  in fonts-nafees package) as default font for all font families
  (SansSerif, Serif...except mono) used in Ubuntu.

  I would like to ask, if language-selector is able to set specific
  keyboard layout for Urdu for 1st time?

  Please Shabbir:
  Could you write here the best setting for Urdu Fonts (Using "Tweak Tool":
Scale Factor, Hinting, Anitaliasing, Size)?