Public bug reported:

I have experienced this issue three or more times now - that nm-applet
ceases to respond to any mouse commands at all - ignoring my selection
of an alternative wireless network, refusing to launch the connection
editor, and not allowing wireless to be disabled. The menu appears to be
responsive but none of the commands are actually run or cause any
effect.

So far, I proceeded to a workaround like this (I suspect the modprobe
steps are unnecessary).

sudo modprobe -r cp210x
sudo modprobe -r rndis_wlan
sudo modprobe rndis_wlan

sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
sudo modprobe -r mac80211
sudo modprobe mac80211
sudo modprobe iwlwifi

...and finally...

killall nm-applet

...followed by Alt+F2 and running...

nm-applet

...again.

After these steps, nm-applet became once again responsive.

Package: network-manager-gnome 0.9.4.1-0ubuntu2.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-39.62-generic-pae 3.2.39
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae i686
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.1
Architecture: i386
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Date: Thu Mar 28 14:15:13 2013
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423.2)
IpRoute:
 default via 10.32.78.1 dev wlan0  proto static
 10.32.78.0/23 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.32.78.126  metric 2
 169.254.0.0/16 dev wlan0  scope link  metric 1000
MarkForUpload: True
NetworkManager.state:
 [main]
 NetworkingEnabled=true
 WirelessEnabled=true
 WWANEnabled=true
 WimaxEnabled=true
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: network-manager-applet
nmcli-dev:
 DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH

 wlan0      802-11-wireless   connected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/5
 eth0       802-3-ethernet    unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
nmcli-nm:
 RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE   WIFI
     WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
 running         0.9.4.0    connected       enabled       enabled
enabled    enabled         enabled

** Affects: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 precise third-party-packages

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-applet non-responsive - network selection,  wireless enable all
  ignored [workaround]

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu: