Runing apport I get the following:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading
configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
ERROR: The launchpadlib Python module is not installed. This functionality is
not available.

I have tried apt-get install, but it doesn't exist as a package.

Any ideas?

I also see that changed to xorg - does plymouth rely on xorg?

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  ati adapter not recognised by 3.8.x kernel

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:

  I am running 13.04 on a notebook with an ati Mobility Radeon HD 4200
  Series video adapter.

  this has worked fine on previous versions, but is not recognised by
  3.8.x kernel and respective modules.  Instead video is limited to 800
  x 600.

  The limit in resolution affects Plymouth from the Grub prompt.