This workaround doesn't work for me, ubuntu 12.04, Thunderbird 17.04,
changing port didn't help for me, Thunderbird is so irrisponsive when
typing the emails, while my phone is much faster.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird hangs for 10secs when auto-completing address

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: mozilla-thunderbird

  This bug seems to be very old, but somehow I didn't find it in
  Launchpad - forgive me if  it's a dupe.

  When composing a new mail, I start typing a few letters into the address bar
of the Thunderbird composer windows, and TB tries to autocomplete it from the
address book.
  The drop-down menu appears, giving me the possibilities that start with the
letters I typed, BUT - Thunderbird hangs (compiz darkens the window) for
approx. 10 seconds - then it gets itself up again and processes complete
normally, no errors, no wrong behaviour - and the address book searches are
correct.

  First I thought it was the prefs.js, see
  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Long_time_to_open_address_book

  Funny thing is, that I NEVER had used Thunderbird 1.5 before - but I had
about 50 lines with that "nonascii" in it.
  I deleted them, and gone was the problem, for a few days.
  TB worked normally.

  Then the problem reoccurred.
  Now my prefs.js is clean, and it still has the problem.
  It might have something to do with LDAP search as well - I first thought it
has to do with that: I have a LDAP server on a openVPN network which is not
always connected - and I thought the delay was a network timeout when TB
searches for the LDAP and doesn't find it.
  But I now disabled the LDAP address search in Thunderbird, and the problem
remains.

  Also see here:
  http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=499016&p=2648760