Come on, this is also affecting Ubuntu 13.04 beta 1.
It's too important guys, I'm trying to convience anyone I know to change from
windows to Ubuntu but when the time comes for the question "Oh great OS but can
I login without password?" I feel so embarassed to say "no because if you try
so you 'll be locked out of your system"....

Most windows users  don't use any password to login or give
Administration privilleges!

  Log in without password option breaks the authentication right of the
  specific user

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  >>lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  >>apt-cache policy gnome-control-center
  gnome-control-center:
    Installed: 1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1 0
          500 http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  >>What you expected to happen
  Changing my own user profile to not require a password on log in, should
completely remove the existing password..

  >>What happened instead
  I have changed my own user profile to not require a password and log me in
automatically. What happened is, once I'm logged in, I find my password is not
accepted when I'm trying to install an application or make changes to user
accounts.

  This bug is also mentioned in this question of askubuntu:
  http://askubuntu.com/questions/128213/admin-password-authenticates-to-
  log-in-but-not-to-install-apps-or-change-user-a/

  I've proposed there a solution, which worked for me, but I believe
  that it is important to report this question as bug to launchpad.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1