I can reproduce this bug with Ubuntu 12.04 and nautilus
1:3.4.2-0ubuntu8. Even worse, the desktop looks black when "solid" color
is selected, but actually it is not drawn at all. If I move a window
across the screen, it leaves a persistent "trail".

The problem might be compiz-related. If I switch from compiz to
metacity, the solid color background is draw correctly.

  Cannot set solid color background when background fading is disabled

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  When I try to set a solid color as desktop background with background
  fading disabled, all I get is a black background, no matter what color
  I choose in the control center/System Settings. The same works fine if
  I either enable background fading or use a  vertical or horizontal
  'color-shading-type'.

  TEST CASE:
  1. Press <Super>, type 'Appearance', and open the result.
  2. Make sure you have a background image selected.
  3. Disable background fading from the command line:

      gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop background-fade false

  4. In the 'Appearance' dialog, try to set a solid color other than
  black.

  RESULT:
  * No matter what color is set, the background will always stay black.

  To go back to the working case, run the following from the command
  line:

      gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop background-fade true

  Package: nautilus 1:3.3.91-0ubuntu4
  Date: Sun Mar 11 09:57:16 2012
  GsettingsChanges:
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state geometry '927x1027+65+24'
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state sidebar-width 183
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110901)
  SourcePackage: nautilus