It still doesn't work right in 13.04. Why should people installing
Ubuntu know to edit a configuration file that their account doesn't even
own before their networking will work?

  Please don't enable the NetworkManager-controlled dnsmasq by default

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu's default configuration, NetworkManager spawns a copy of
  dnsmasq, which breaks DNS lookups for me. It has done this since
  Ubuntu 12.04, when this was made the default. I've just been following
  the workaround that has worked for other people of disabling dnsmasq
  in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

  There have been multiple bug reports about the various problems of
  this configuration, but it remains the default configuration in 12.10,
  and breaks my DNS lookups there, as well.

  Someone mentioned I should file a bug. So, why not? It'll just be
  ignored like they always are, but fine. You got it!