If the problems still exists, please split the issue for RAR and ZIP.

RAR related issue is likely to be caused by the fact that broken version rar is
included in 11.10-12.10, it will be upgraded in 13.04.
The issue can be workarounded by removing rar package and install rar from
official site.
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm (Choose RAR 4.20 for Linux or RAR 4.20 for
Linux x64)

For ZIP related issues, please refer to bug 495880 or bug 596193

** Changed in: file-roller (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to file-roller in Ubuntu.

  Fr, Pt characters in the name  of file inside rar

Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: file-roller

  It's the 3th time this happens

  A rar or zip that has been compressed (most likely) with a MS windows
  compression tool in a non-english system (say portuguese, french and
  brazilian)

  The files within where named using ie brazilian characters (áéúíó ãõ )

  The file was sent to me and when I open it with file-roller 2.32.0

  The contained file has this original word " funèbre"

  in file-roller it appers like this  "funŠbre " (the character is
  garbled)  and doesn't allow either rename or extract

  But the most curious thing is this :
  the original name is "Rondò" (with the ò character) but it appears in the
file-roller as "rondo" with the characte not accentuated

  !!! I can successfully unrar, test and read the file in the shell
  using ' unrar e file.rar ' !!!

  Package: file-roller 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-24.42-generic 2.6.35.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-24-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: i386